The SAIL Difference … An Individualized Approach at a Fraction of the Cost
Pam Milazzo has spent over 20 years of her life as an educator, an academic and executive functioning coach, and as the parent of two children who learn differently (one with AD/HD and one with High Functioning Autism), researching the various approaches that will unlock the potential within each student. The result is a unique, cost-effective solution that integrates coaching services with Internet Technology, Assistive Technology, intensive support between sessions, and proven effective research based learning strategies - all designed to help students become independent achievers, both in school and in life, and individually tailored to each student.
Intensive support between sessions is a key component of the process.
Students with challenges of AD/HD, Asperger's and Executive Functioning have a difficult time generalizing what they learn in coaching to the situations they face outside of coaching. The Private Coaching Programs available through SAIL Institute offer several levels of intensive support to help students break through this obstacle. In addition to the individual Coaching Sessions, these programs provide:
- One-on-one support sessions between sessions. Through the use of Internet Technology, including webcam communication services such as Skype® and webinar services such as Go-To-Meeting® and Instant Presenter®, students are now able to get the help they need right at the "point of performance". Aside from the fact that the student's after-school commitments or geographical location are no longer obstacles to their success, the significance of this is that we are able to observe the student as they attempt to apply the strategies we've taught them to their daily activities, in their home environment. This makes it possible for us to ascertain whether a strategy is actually working for that student and, if not, what changes need to be made. In addition, students are now able to get the intensive support they need while attending the school or college of their choice, in the mainstream and without interruption.
- SAIL Institute's unique Virtual SAILing© proprietary online tutorial program, which is coming soon, together with our use of webinars, which is currently available, make it possible for us to provide recordings that are available to students and parents 24/7. This affords students yet another level of the support that they need to successfully apply the skills they learn to their everyday lives. Moreover, these services offer solutions, at a fraction of the cost of other programs, for families who would not otherwise be able to afford them..
Where appropriate, the instruction and use of assistive technology is incorporated and made available to clients for their use during private coaching sessions. Some examples of the assistive technology available include:
- Kurzweil 3000® text-to-speech software,
- Inspiration® mind mapping software,
- Dragon Naturally Speaking® speech-to-text software, and
- Pulse Smartpen®.
Client Profile - Who We Serve
SAIL Institute is devoted to serving the needs of bright, intelligent students with AD/HD, Asperger's and Executive Functioning deficits who struggle with challenges of time management, organization, planning, prioritizing, problem solving, study skills, everyday living skills (budgeting, meal planning and preparation, laundry, and more), self-advocacy skills, and writing and reading issues related to their AD/HD, Asperger's or Executive Functioning deficits.
There are online and private coaching programs available for students, beginning in the upper elementary/middle school range (depending on the student's level of maturity), and continuing up through college, graduate school and professional school, including medical school, law school, and more. There are also programs available for parents of students of all levels.
Students - Here are some examples of what you can learn through SAIL Institute:
- To identify and build on your learning strengths and develop strategies that are specially tailored to meet your unique needs
- To set priorities and consistently find time to complete your homework
- To effectively and responsibly manage long-term assignments
- To develop strategies that will enable you to master test taking, lectures, note taking and reading assignments
- To be more confident at completing writing assignments, allowing you to get your creative thoughts and ideas on paper
- To develop a system for organizing papers and binders that is easy for you to maintain on your own
- To develop a system and strategies that will enable you to responsibly budget and manage your money
- To plan and prepare healthy meals
- And more!
Parents - Here are some examples of what you can learn through SAIL Institute:
- To identify the areas that are impeding your child from performing to their potential and develop a plan for obtaining the supports your child needs
- To address the needs not only of your child, but your family unit as a whole
- The art of negotiation, validation, "win-win" communication and family problem solving to enhance family relationships and cooperation, reduce stress and promote mutual respect
- And more!
CLICK HERE to learn more
SERVICES AND PROGRAMS